The building, built in 1938, is listed on the California Register of Historical Resources, and is located next to Old Town State Park. Platt/Whitelaw preserved the exterior appearance of the original building, while providing remediation of leaks, accessibility upgrades, and flexible spaces. Caltrans uses the museum for historic Caltrans documents and artifacts from all over California. The display areas are designed for multiple uses, from training and community meetings to entertaining. The former maintenance bay is now a climate controlled museum work area, high density storage system, and storage mezzanine.